Children's BalletAges 2 – 7
We make dance fun while learning. Classes rooted in the foundation of ballet begin at age 2 and build to age 7. The curriculum was created to encourage age appropriate creativity, musicality, and physicality. Your child will dance and have fun with an emphasis on the foundations of ballet. Dancers will be brought through creative movement and basic ballet steps and more!
Trial Class, Questions & Comments
"*" indicates required fields
FAQ & Information
Children's Ballet Program: There are no minimum class requirements.
Youth Ballet Program:
Level Minimum Class Requirement
- Level 1: 1 Conditioning, 2 Technique Classes
- Level 2A: 1 Conditioning, 2 Technique Classes, 2 Pointe Classes
- Level 2B: 1 Conditioning, 3 Technique Classes, 2 Pointe Classes
- Level 3: 1 Conditioning, 4 Technique Classes, 3 Pointe Classes
- Level 4: 1 Conditioning, 4 Technique Classes, 3 Pointe Classes
- Level 5: 1 Conditioning, 5 Technique Classes, 3 Pointe Classes
- Boys: Boys Mandatory Technique Class + the required Level classes
YES!! The 2022-2023 School Year will begin as a Full In-Person format. See details below:
Manhattan Fall Semester: Sept 6, 2022 – Jan 21, 2023
Long Island City Fall Semester: Sept 17, 2022 - Jan 21, 2023
Manhattan and Long Island City Spring Semester: Jan 23, 2023 - May 20, 2023
We have two programs for our Children’s and Youth Ballet program.
- In Person Program – Classes will be taught in person in our studios.
- Virtual Program – All classes are held online via Zoom. Our Virtual classes are live streamed from our in-person Manhattan classes. These classes are interactive, providing access to personalized instruction for all ages and levels. Teachers share individual feedback in real time.
All classes have been designed to accommodate both In-Person and Virtual participation.
- A DEVICE to watch the class, preferably with a large enough screen for the student to see the details of instruction (like a tablet or laptop).
- WIFI or DATA with a strong enough signal to use the ZOOM app.
- Please see technology requirements here. [Click for Technology Requirements]
- A SPACE that can be used to dance in. Spaces used by previous students varied from their bedrooms, to their living rooms, kitchens, and some basements. Our teachers do a great job of adapting the material so that all students can participate and benefit from the instruction.
- Children’s Program dancers will need a parent or caregiver during the class to ensure they can log-in and remain connected.
We offer Live-streamed Classes for the entire semester!
- Children's Ballet - Live-streamed Classes – Only Saturday Children's Ballet classes are live-streamed via Zoom from our in-person studios in Manhattan.
- Youth Ballet - Live-streamed Classes – All Youth Ballet classes are live-streamed via Zoom from our in-person studios in Manhattan.
You have our assurance that the faculty for the School has engaged in exploration and research to collectively and individually design a syllabus for each class level and age addressing the mode and method needed to deliver live, virtual and hybrid classes effectively in this time of COVID. Our teachers are lifelong learners. Since going fully Virtual in March 2020 we have successfully delivered hundreds of hours of meaningful dance education to students from around the world. These months of teaching on ZOOM has challenged us, but, from the challenge came an abundance of knowledge. The challenge of how to connect individually to each dancer was one of our greatest successes. Dancers and families have commented countless times on how impressed they were with the connections we were able to make with each and every dancer. What we have learned is that this medium is a new and wonderful tool to add to the traditional mode of delivery.
Trial classes are not required for the Children's Program. We understand that young children may require the opportunity to try out any new activity. Our trial class program gives the child and their family an opportunity to take a class to determine if the program is a good fit before registering for a semester commitment. Registration requires a financial commitment for the semester.
Placement classes are required for the Youth Program. Placement classes allow our Artistic Team to fully evaluate prospective students to determine which level in the Joffrey Ballet curriculum is the most appropriate fit. The level assigned by the Artistic Director for the placement class is not the finalized level placement for the semester.
When your son/daughter misses a class, they can attend a make-up class at or below their level at any time during the school year. To take a makeup class, you must email email@example.com, of your intention to attend a Make up class. We will notify the teacher of your attendance.
Joffrey Ballet School will continue following the recommendations and guidelines of the CDC, local, state, and national government authorities. We will always be on the side of caution when it comes to the health and safety of our dancers, faculty and staff.
Please reference the links below to view our comprehensive policies and procedures for studio cleaning, health checks and general COVID-19 Response Procedures:
WHAT JBS IS DOING
- All faculty and staff of the Joffrey Ballet School are fully vaccinated.
- Staggered arrivals and departure times are built into our schedule.
- Commonly-touched surfaces are frequently sanitized throughout the day.
- Proper ventilation, together with our HEPA Air Filtration system, will be maintained at all times.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Frequently wash your hands.
- Maintain a safe distance, whenever possible.
- Follow our policies to ensure a safe environment for all students, faculty, and staff.
It is imperative that students abide by all requirements. Full vaccination required, booster if eligible. All staff and faculty of the Joffrey Ballet School are fully vaccinated.
Vaccine Exemptions: If the student requires a medical exemption or would like to request a religious exemption please email Director Jo Matos at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Proof of vaccination should be uploaded here: https://joffreyballetschool.wufoo.com/forms/student-vaccination-proof/
A negative COVID-19 diagnostic test must be submitted for the start of the school year. Students can submit either a PCR test taken within five days of starting or a Rapid test taken within 3 days of starting.
Dancers must go to a testing site or medical provider for a professionally-administered COVID-19 test. Additional testing and doctor clearance notes may be required due to contagious illness symptoms and/or suspected or confirmed close contact status.
COVID Test Results should be uploaded here: https://joffreyballetschool.wufoo.com/forms/q1ylcul81dts12y/
Masks are currently not required at the Joffrey Ballet School. Visitors who wish to wear masks are, of course, welcome to do so.